06/23/2018 1:17 PM -
BINGHAMTON, NY – The New Jersey Devils selected Ty Smith, Xavier Bernard, Akira Schmid, Yegor Sharangovich, Mitchell Hoelscher, and Eetu Pakkila in the 2018 National Hockey League Draft.
Round 1 (17th Overall) – (D) Ty Smith
• Smith, 18, led all defensemen on the Spokane Chiefs and finished third overall on the team with 73 points in 69 games. The Lloydminster, Alberta native led the entire team with 59 assists. This past season, the defenseman captured the Hlinka Memorial Gold Medal with Canada, WHL (West) First All-Star Team, and WHL Scholastic Player of the Year.
Round 4 (110th Overall) – (D) Xavier Bernard
• Bernard, 18, put up 35 points (11 goals, 24 assists) in 66 games with the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s Drummondville Voltigeurs. The 6-foot-3, 203-pounder finished third among defenseman in points on the Voltigeurs.
Round 5 (136th Overall) – (G) Akira Schmid
• Schmid, 18, had a 2.60 goals-against average in 32 games with Langnau U20 of the Swiss Elite Jr. A league. The Nesslau, Switzerland native also appeared in 17 games for his country’s U18 national team.
Round 5 (141st Overall) – (F) Yegor Sharangovich
• Sharangovich, 20, recorded 12 points (4 goals, 8 assists) for the Kontinental Hockey League’s Dinamo Minsk. The 6-foot-2, 196-pound forward served as the assistant captain for Belarus at the World Junior Championship where he put in five points in six games. Sharangovich also played in seven games and recorded an assist with Belarus at the World Championships.
Round 6 (172nd Overall) – (F) Mitchell Hoelscher
• Hoelscher, 18, had 28 points (10 goals, 18 assists) in 67 games for the Ontario Hockey League’s Ottawa 67’s. Hoelscher also added two points in five playoff games. In 2016-17, the 5-foot-11, 165-pounder captured the GOJHL championship with the Elmira Sugar Kings. In the championship run, the Waterloo, Ontario native scored 41 points (19 goals, 22 assists) in 42 games.
Round 7 (203rd Overall) – (F) Eetu Pakkila
• Pakkila, 18, led Karpat U20 in goals (23) and finished second in overall with 40 points (23 goals, 17 assists). The 6-foot-0, 168-pound forward was the Jr. A SM-liiga player of the month in October this past season and won a silver medal.
Join the Binghamton Devils as they host the FREE Open House, Saturday, July 21. DETAILS HERE. The Devils will open up the 2018-19 season at home on Saturday, October 6 at 7:05 p.m.
For more information, including pricing, benefits, and much more, visit the Devils website at binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtondevils.com. Follow the Devils all year long on Facebook (/bingdevils), Twitter (@BingDevils), Instagram (@bingdevils), Snapchat (@bingdevils), and the team’s Youtube channel (/BingDevils).